Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and Pokkén Tournament DX!

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and Pokkén Tournament DX!

Postby Aeslay » June 6th, 2017, 2:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-CBOrLnb0

Both just got revealed in the Pokemon Direct moments ago. Seems like they're minor change/third version games like Emerald and Platinum were to Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl respectively, rather than being sequels like BW2 were to BW.
The minor change/third games have always been a huge improvements to their Generation. They're the ones that fix most issues and add pretty good amount of new content for both the main and the postgame, so I'm really looking forward to these.
Unlike with SM, which were new games I knew nothing about, USM will improve SM, which were already tied with BW2 as my favorite games of the series. So I'm definitely getting these and I have really high hopes for them.
One thing I'm not excited about is Solgaleo and Lunala's Necrozma forms. I like the concept, many predicted this happening so it wasn't surprising, but they look kind of bad. The black armor-like parts don't look good on them. It's especially disappointing because Solgaleo was my favorite Legendary yet.

And Pokkén on Switch. I liked Pokkén, and I looking forward to seeing it become a handheld game. Happy to see they haven't abandoned it. It didn't seem too popular, so I was worried they'll abandon it, but if it's coming to Switch, I don't have to worry about that.

So, what are your hopes? Expectations? Things you want to see and things you'd rather not see in them?
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Re: Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and Pokkén Tournament

Postby A-Man » June 9th, 2017, 10:41 pm

For me, it was difficult to evolve Torracat to the wrestler, but I guess it's useless to hope for anything in that regard. I hope they'll do something about skippable moves animation though; rather than force it or disable it entirely, just give people the option to press a button to skip over the animation.

Some people have found that the original games had animated models of several pokemon walking. I'm guessing that got relayed to the rumored Switch version "Pokemon Stars", which will be announced in the E3 presentation :P.
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » June 10th, 2017, 1:38 pm

Yeah, I agree on both points. I do like the idea of a Tiger Mask type wrestler cat, but I didn't like Incineroar's design a lot, and while Z-moves were fun, using them throughout the entire game and watching the animation every time was a bit tiring.

Now let's break some hope for you. :P
There will be no Switch version. GameFreak confirmed multiple times that they're going to wait and see how Switch is used before they take the mainline games there. And considering GF's size, skill and how they handle the "generations", we won't get a Switch mainline game for a year or two. Similar to how we didn't get anything for 3DS for a while.

As for the walking animations, yes, there were walking animations for ALL Pokemon, including their Mega Evolved forms. Since Mega Evolved forms were there, which are temporary things that put great strain on Pokemon according to the lore, they most likely weren't for the long awaited Pokemon following feature. They were likely just planned for some sort of Minigame, or to add movement during Z-move animations, or something like that.
Unlike with sprites, having a Pokemon follow you in 3D is kind of more complicated. A shrunk down Kyogre floating behind you on land will look a lot more jarring in 3D. So yeah... If that's what you were hoping for, might be a while until you get that. :P

Still, the second half is just guesswork. It makes most sense, but nothing's confirmed, so you might get what you wanted.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » June 13th, 2017, 9:48 am

Forgot to post this earlier. As soon as USUM were announced, many looked through /vp/ archive to see if there was any mention of the names Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. And this was found.
Posted on March 28th, the poster had "USUM" as his name. When asked what USUM meant, the reply was that it stood for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.
As for the content of the post, it correctly predicted that USUM will be on 3DS, more Z-moves and Necrozma forms. But that was rather obvious and everyone was expecting that.
One other thing this post predicts is "New Pokemon". We have never received new Pokemon in middle of a Generation. That's a bit that makes it sound less credible. But that's common sense, and yet the poster still mentioned new Pokemon for some reason. Not to mention during the reveal of USUM, Masuda said USUM would "feature Pokemon that didn't appear in the original versions". Generation 7 has been breaking many traditions, like removing HMs, items like Bike and Gyms, so it might be actually true.

Still, nothing is confirmed, there's some worrying part about "new Pokemon" and the only things this poster got right were the names of the games, the platform they will be on and Z-moves and Necrozma forms. The only not-obvious thing were the names, even then, considering Solgaleo and Lunala are "Ultra Beasts", and Necrozma is also similar to Ultra Beasts, it's not unthinkable someone might have just guessed Ultra being title of the games. So make what you will of this. I'll just believe because it's more fun that way. :P

A-Man wrote:I'm guessing that got relayed to the rumored Switch version "Pokemon Stars", which will be announced in the E3 presentation :P.

So a game was announced for Switch, A-chan. A game at least more than a year away. I don't know if that's the news you were hoping for, but there's something.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Return to Gaming, TV and Videos