Rhino's Art Gallery

Re: Rhino's Art Gallery

Postby Rhino.Freak » April 14th, 2016, 3:44 pm

A-Man wrote:Cat!

I really haven't drawn animals ever but I'll try soon in future. Just posting to let you know I have not forgotten about this.
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Rhino.Freak » May 20th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Finally got around to drawing a cat!
Here it is!

I wish I could do the highlights a bit better but I'll improve in future I hope!
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby A-Man » May 20th, 2016, 2:00 pm

This is so awesome, and I must say you're really getting good with this. The only issue I could spot is with its front left arm (from its perspective) where its color at the middle blends with the pillow.

Have some of my bellies!
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » May 20th, 2016, 2:10 pm

LOL thanks for donation! And yes I do admit Paws could use some more work...
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Aeslay » May 22nd, 2016, 7:33 pm

Saying it's awesome is an understatement. I just love the shading and the fur you drew. It looks like something that would take forever to draw and yet it looks so good! XD
As A-chan pointed out, the color in middle of its left arm does seem out of place, but I imagine that was a problem with the reference. You drew the part just as well.
The only real issue I noticed was the toes on the left paw. It sort of looks like it has 5 toes, for some reason.

Did you use any picture as reference? If so, can you post it? I'd like to see why the middle of left arm looks so different. :P
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » May 22nd, 2016, 7:36 pm

I did use a reference image but I did grayscale it for referencing the proper shades (a trick I learnt recently)
Here is the image
http://www.laughspark.info/uploadfiles/ ... 8-9583.jpg

I must say I didn't try much with paws, I really couldn't understand them myself either from the image so I just drew whatever I could see.

And many thanks for the appreciation! :D
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Aeslay » May 22nd, 2016, 7:48 pm

Yeah, the paw in the image does look pretty confusing. But not drawing the paw would make it look a bit weird, so you still did a pretty good job considering that. :like:
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » September 8th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Rhino is back!
My pencil colors were too old and dried up so 3-4 days ago I picked up new ones.
Naturally I had the urge to test them out so I made this!
Shokugeki no Soma - Soma and Erina!
Deviant Art

Reference Image
Took me nearly 2 days and probably the most patient I have ever been with a drawing yet.
It was very challenging to do many parts (Soma's suit, Erina's hair and socks) simply because I had very less shades and I had to mix and blend and experiment a lot, thought this did made me practice blending more and being patient.
Any comments are appreciated :D
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Aeslay » September 9th, 2016, 5:56 am

And another awesome one from you. xD
I've spent a fair amount of time looking for any issues, and I'm having a hard time. Besides the that obvious ones like the left side of Soma's face, what bothered me the most was how the top-down perspective didn't translate well, so Soma's legs look out of proportion and really weird.
I really liked the shading and everything about their hair. Out of the two, I'd say Erina looks better. She looks just perfect. You got everything just right. I imagine stuff like hair that long, the frills and pattern of skirt were pretty hard to get right. Great job one this one. :like: XD
Keep up the great work! :happy:
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » September 9th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Haha thanks for the donation XD
You are absolutely right there! Soma is a bit anatomically off but Erina came out well.
The skirt lol, initially I didn't pay any attention to it but later when I actually realized how much work that thing is.. I was scared to be honest :P but it worked out!
I guess Erina's hair is something I'm most proud of in the sketch overall as I had absolutely no perfect shade to color then but I really had to mix so many different colors and layer patiently and strategically there.
I'll try pumping another colored sketch out soon!
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Rhino.Freak » June 4th, 2017, 5:26 pm

OOOKAAYY!

Papa Rhino is back. Haven't been posting here a lot but now I think I will, because WHY NOT?
I made several drawings, I'll show them in order. AS ALWAYS comments are SUPER appreciated.

TITLES ARE CLICKABLE

1. Alice and Ryo - Shokugeki No Soma

2. Stranger Things - Simple Sketch

3. John Wick Portrait (Keanu Reeves)

4. Alice and Ryo - Shokugeki No Soma [COLORED]

Now since the last week or so I tried to make some art WITHOUT using any reference, so these are fully custom art in a way? I'm not sure.
So naturally, I want some HEAVY criticism on the following ones.

5. Zoro

6. Luffy

THANKS for taking a look. Phew.
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Aeslay » June 7th, 2017, 5:50 pm

MORE RHINO DRAWINGS! With your own original drawings! How did I miss this?

I'm not a big fan of realistic drawings, but I LOVE the Wick portrait. It's easily my favorite yet. It's perfect and I'm not exaggerating a bit. You mentioned wanting to do better highlights before, and I would say you did amazing here. The shading overall feels like a huge step up from your usual stuff, and your shading is already great in your usual stuff. I can see the smallest details like wrinkles on his forehead, and they're subtle and don't stand out at all, but you can still make them out perfectly and it's just amazing to me. It might just be that I'm too used to seeing animesque artstyle, where this type of details always stands out, but this really impressed me.
It just looks perfect to me, simply put. It's just beyond the level I can even criticize anything. I love it and it's my favorite.

Both versions of Ryo and Alice look nice. Since you colored it, I'm sure you must've noticed, but Ryo's left arm just looks alien. It's just really thin and the forearm is just too long, and I can't even tell how he's holding the plate. If it was just a problem with the reference you picked, I would just avoid using something like this as reference or try to fix it as I go along, rather than just ignoring it.
That's the only real part I would say needs any fixing. That out of the way, I have to say you did a lovely job with the coloring. This type of more subtle shading in color is pretty hard to get right, especially in analog drawing, and if it's off by a even a bit, it stands out too much, but you still did an absolutely great job at it. That's pretty impressive.

And finally, the original work! This is what I've been waiting to see you do for the longest time. You asked for heavy criticism, but there's not that much to criticize here.

Luffy looks pretty nice. His face isn't round enough to look like Luffy's. I'm not implying the face is poorly drawn. It's a normal face, it wouldn't be a problem in any other drawing, the shape just isn't very Luffy-like. The other facial features, though, are pretty good. It's just the shape.
And his right arm look a bit too long. At first, I just assumed it was because he's rubbery and stretching, but then I looked at the sleeve and even that is a bit too long, so I'm guessing it wasn't on purpose. These are the only two things that could use a bit of fixing. The shape of face and the size of arm.

For Zoro, the hands are the biggest problem. They're weird. I don't know how else to put it. I imagine you realize this too, since blackened them, but it still looks a bit weird. Now it looks like he doesn't have thumbs and he looks just unnatural holding the Katana. Actually, rather than holding the Katana, it seems more like the hilt of the Katana is just going through his arm. That's the main problem with Zoro.
Hands are hard to draw without reference to begin with, and you even tried to draw them holding something on what seems to be your first try, so I guess that much is to be expected. Even when you're drawing without reference, you don't have to draw everything without reference. If it wasn't working out, just use a reference for hands alone. Would work out better. Zoro overall looks great. The problem I mentioned is really minor. One of my favorite part is his facial expression. You nailed that. It looks exactly like something I would see in the manga. It looks great.

Hopefully, that didn't come across as being too nitpicky. Most of what I mentioned isn't a big enough problem to be noticeable at first glance. Mostly because you don't make many obvious mistakes. I'm looking forward to see more of your drawings without reference. :D
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » June 8th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Glorious feedback, thanks!

Actually, rather than holding the Katana, it seems more like the hilt of the Katana is just going through his arm. That's the main problem with Zoro.

Spot on as usual. I actually laughed when I read this as I could see it. Hands were not looking great, but there's another reason for that and it's because I had to blacken it (haki shizz).
I didn't plan to make Zoro do the Haki bit, I accidently 'over inked' one of the swords so I had to. I do believe the details and a bit of shading on the hands was somewhat able to make the hand more normal but I agree it's still very out of proportion and not angled correctly.

About Luffy, yeah I guess his hands are a tad bit longer, I didn't see it before when I was making it but I do think maybe a little bit shorter in length would have been ideal.

Thanks for feedback on other drawings XD I'm pretty happy about John Wick too.
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Aeslay » June 8th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Oh yeah, Haki. Totally forgot that was a thing for a second there. :|
The black color now suddenly just fits in a lot better and doesn't bother me at all now. Because I forgot Haki somehow, the black hands really looked weird, as I didn't understand why they were black. That also explains the black swords, which was another thing that I didn't understand.
Just being reminded of Haki makes it better. Can't believe I completely forgot about it. x-P
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » June 12th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Okay so I tried another sort of no reference drawing. This time its Sanji, to complete the monster trio! I tried a dynamic pose this time which may or may not be a bad decision. Overall I think it does look a bit weird but let me know what you think!
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Sondos » June 14th, 2017, 12:02 am

Thee Rhino strikes again!~
Man, this is pretty awesome! Shivy over here pretty much pointed out everything..
As for the Sanji drawing.. I love it! The only thing I feel is wrong is his left hand.. It's big in an unusual way. I can see it's like that because of the pose, but it looks bigger than it should be. Everything else is fine!
That's pretty much it.
Ahh, looking at those make me happy! Keep 'em coming! :)
Sondos
Pirate Subordinate

Postby Rhino.Freak » June 16th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Thanks! I'll make more! XD
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Rhino.Freak » June 19th, 2017, 11:40 am

Another no reference art! This time it's a certain titan from Attack on Titan!

http://rhino123freak.deviantart.com/art ... -687367054
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Graphics, Animation and Art