Otakus Unite

Re: Otakus Unite

Postby Aeslay » September 26th, 2016, 6:58 am

BIG NEWS! Madhouse just announced One Punch Man season 2!
Anime News Network Link
Madhouse rarely does more than 1 season of an anime, so it's really assuring to finally have an official announcement by them.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » October 31st, 2016, 6:33 am

I hope OPM S2 starts soon! I really can't wait!

I have started Bakuman some time ago. Slowly but steadily I finished the first season today! Even though there's no plot twists or any complicated story or action whatever it is somehow very satisfactory and I love it!
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby A-Man » November 3rd, 2016, 2:41 pm

So it was announced, but no date. It'll probably take a while still - given the random huge intervals between the chapters' release dates.
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » November 5th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Finished Bakuman! Loved it!
9/10 for me even though there's not much to complain about.

Niizuma Eiji and Hiramaru are one of my favorite characters in this anime. And the fact that they are inspired from real mangakas makes it even better.
Ending was all that you'd expect and lovely.
Their mangas all showed very clear relation to the author's work Death Note which was also fun to watch.

Also Miyoshi best girl by a landslide, there's nothing you can't love about her character. 10/10 for her.

Really great series! Do recommend! Kinda feels sad that its ended now but I have 2 specials that I didn't watch yet! I'll enjoy them slowly.
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby riquelme375 » November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Yeah Bakuman is awesome. Every character is just so loveable.
riquelme375
Pirate Captain

Postby Aeslay » November 13th, 2016, 8:11 am

I read the manga a few years ago, and I still haven't finished the anime. The only things I've heard about it are that it starts out weak, and that it has awesome OST.

I finally got around watching JoJo. It was everything it's hyped up to be. Anyone else watched it?
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » November 28th, 2016, 4:47 pm

BIG FRUCKING NEWS!
I'm sure everyone's already heard of it, but Code Geass gets a sequal!
Anime News Network link

Code Geass spoilers
LELOUCH IS ALIVE!
I am a bit worried where it will go, since the ending of Code Geass was literally perfect. I'll try to be optimistic about it. They wouldn't bring it back after so long if they didn't have something good in mind. Hopefully. Maybe.

I cry every night knowing that Lelouch was remembered as the Hitler of his universe after his "death" and people of that universe probably made parodies of his last moments. If there's anything this anime achieve, it would be making Lelouch less hated. I would forgive it for being crappy if it can manage just that.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby riquelme375 » November 28th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Start the hype engines
riquelme375
Pirate Captain

Postby Aeslay » May 9th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Any of you been following the Boruto anime? It's been pretty fun so far. A lot more fun than I was expecting it to be.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby riquelme375 » May 11th, 2017, 5:23 am

Haven't yet, perhaps I should. Kinda stopped watching and reading anything really.
riquelme375
Pirate Captain

Postby Aeslay » May 14th, 2017, 8:07 am

I really like the new cast. The kids seemed like just copies of their parents at first, but the anime has given them more characterization in just 6 episodes than their parents got in 60. Sai's kid doesn't feel unnecessary like Sai did and is actually a nice addition to the group at times. That's a huge improvement.
The biggest negative would be that the plot hasn't really been that interesting. Monster of the week stuff. Random conflict, they fight, the problem solved. The Genin level fights have been pretty enjoyable, though.

Give it a try if you have the time. I thought they were just beating the dead horse with this anime, but it's been pretty enjoyable.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby A-Man » May 14th, 2017, 11:32 am

Anybody tried Hajime no Ippo yet?

I read a random Boruto chapter once.
Was about a spoiled kid being protected by Boruto. That particular chapter felt like filler.
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » May 14th, 2017, 4:19 pm

I did try Hajime no Ippo. And it was great. The long length and the artstyle that looked like it'll take a bit getting used to made it really hard to start, but once I did start, it was just great.

Ippo is a really lovable protagonist, even if you don't like nice-guy characters. He's a lot similar to Deku, just not as awkward, though still awkward, and he doesn't get magic powers. He works his way up all the way from zero. I especially love arrogant, but strong and hearty characters like Takamura, Aoki and Kimura are easily my favorite "friend" character ever and two of the many great things about this anime. The fights have this really gritty and strong feeling behind every action and they're more fun to watch than most Shounen fights. As is the case with most sports anime, the build up to the fight is given a good time and all opponents get enough characterization to make me care for all of them.

It's a really nice anime. I'm glad I gave it a try.

As for the Boruto chapter you're talking about, that was a bit weaker than most. Denki, the rich kid, is kind of boring. It gets better when they don't focus on him. So from 2nd episode onward. I also tried Boruto manga a while ago, but I didn't like it the artstyle so I just waited for the anime. The anime really improves it.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby A-Man » May 14th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Tell Freaky! It has been on his "to watch" list for a year, but he wouldn't. Welp.

But yes, I really like it. It's one of the few shows I have watched more than once, and it never disappointed. And it maintains the quality throughout.

Character development is superb, and even opponent characters don't get discarded once their fight is over. It's hard to believe also that watching 20+ fights of one character wouldn't get boring, but every one of them had it's own thing that made it different. Side characters get their own awesome matches too. The training episodes are also very fun (especially during summer where they go to the beach, those were hilarious). The build up to the matches are great, as you get to decide for whom you'll be cheering. My favourite build up to a fight ever remains to be the one before the Takamura vs Brian Hawk fight.
I also like how the author is always referencing characters from the real life sport.

I'm always puzzled as to why this show didn't get more popular.

I look forward to season four, whenever that will be announced.
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » May 14th, 2017, 7:39 pm

To be fair, it had been on my "to watch" list for a couple of years before I finally gave it a try. :P

It's just hard to pick up. This is the case with most sports anime, as they just seem a bit boring like real sports from the outside, old anime, as they won't be as pretty to look at and there will be less discussion surrounding them, or anime with unique or different artstyle, for obvious reasons.
And this one is a mix of all that. Just trying it is the hardest part.
It's still a pretty popular anime. One of the most popular. I've been hearing about it since forever. It's also somewhat known for being one of the few Madhouse anime to receive more than one season.

There's this video that finally pushed me to try it, after being recommended this one too many times. Maybe it'll work for Freaky too, if he hasn't already seen it.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » May 17th, 2017, 8:21 am

Lol "Tell Freaky! It has been on his "to watch" list for a year, but he wouldn't. Welp."
To be fair, I have gazillion things that are on the list, and many even longer than Ippo. Including Code Geass which I have downloaded with me since 3 years or more maybe. It's really just the way I am, I can't just start a series and "go with it", it's kinda hard to explain but I really never feel like starting a new series. Once in a blue moon, I start watching something.

I don't doubt it is a great series, but really I'll just watch it when I watch it lol, I can't force myself to watch it.

On the topic though, I did start FMAB some time ago, currently on pause because exams and all but I watched till 17th episode. Pretty good so far.
Also I was reading good reviews on Boruto anime, but I think you kinda sold me on it now Aeslay. I might try to watch it afterall because I too feel they're just milking an established franchise with old school vibes.
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby riquelme375 » May 18th, 2017, 9:10 am

Rhino I think i'm exactly the same lol. I just cant start watching a series until i'm in a specific moment of "yeahhh lets do it why not". That's why I haven't watched a new series in ages.
riquelme375
Pirate Captain

Postby Aeslay » May 18th, 2017, 2:29 pm

I know that feelings, though mostly for the Slice of Life genre. I've got a crap ton of them downloaded, I just haven't started any of those. When I do end up trying one episode, I just end up binge watching it.

And if you've started it, you'll know, but Boruto is really not going for old school vibes, as it's almost nothing like Naruto. There's no underdog story, no monsters trapped within, no dead clans, no training to be the strongest, no training in general, not even any Ninja missions, since the kids haven't even become Genin yet. They're still in the academy. Even the world is nothing like Naruto's world from the beginning, with there being a peaceful period with no fighting and a lot more technology being introduced and modernizing the villages.

I say no fighting, I mean that regarding big scale fights. There's at least one fight every episode. So ironically enough, there are more fights in this peaceful time than there were during Naruto's time.
Hopefully, they'll actually end the season this time with 1-2 cours or when it catches up to the manga, instead of diving into another filler hell with crappy animation, crappy pacing and flashbacks every other second. Hopefully.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » June 27th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Finished Baccano! today. A short 16 episode anime but I'd say it's one of the finest ones I've watched. It's basically Pulp Fiction meets anime. I don't wanna say much about it because describing it won't do it justice. It's not for everyone though so do your research before getting into it.
I personally loved it. 9/10
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Aeslay » June 30th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Second season never, though. The anime covers a complete story, with not much left unresolved, so a second season isn't necessary, but knowing that there's more of source material left unanimated just makes you wish for more regardless. The characters are all just so lovable that you want to see more of them. :P

And Rhino, if I recall correctly, you hadn't read the AoT manga and just waited for the second season. And that second season just ended. Did you watch it? What'd ya think, considering it was pretty different from first season in a lot of ways?
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » July 1st, 2017, 7:16 am

Aeslay wrote:Second season never, though. The anime covers a complete story, with not much left unresolved, so a second season isn't necessary, but knowing that there's more of source material left unanimated just makes you wish for more regardless. The characters are all just so lovable that you want to see more of them. :P

Are you talking about Baccano!? I thought it was finished, it is adapted from Light Novels so I'm not sure if new ones come but yeah I don't think they should extend the story pointlessly, it was a complete story.

Aeslay wrote:And Rhino, if I recall correctly, you hadn't read the AoT manga and just waited for the second season. And that second season just ended. Did you watch it? What'd ya think, considering it was pretty different from first season in a lot of ways?

Also yeah, forum was so dead no one created it's thread or anything or else i would be hyping crazy here too lol. I actually loved Season 2 more than Season 1, the pacing was terrific, the visuals, music etc was fantastic and each episode was a joy to witness (except 1 or 2 in between for setups). Definitely loved it even though I'm not a huge fan of the story in general.
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Aeslay » July 1st, 2017, 7:50 pm

Yeah, Baccano isn't finished. There are about 20+ books of the Light Novels and it's still ongoing, and the anime only adapted 5-ish. So there's definitely a lot left to see. I haven't read them, but apparently they focus on other things and characters, like Huey, and even do some time-skip and introduce a lot of new characters, while removing some whose story were complete.

And yeah, I also liked season 2 more. It had a lot less setup episodes compared to the first season, and a lot more just hype action moments and titan creepiness, which is really what I like about the series. :P
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » July 2nd, 2017, 5:16 pm

Oh damn now I'm curious. But I won't read it, for me the story is finished :P

I finished watching Shirobako today, much like the premise of Bakuman is to make manga, this anime is about making an anime.
It's a good slice of life, moderate comedy in between and overall I never felt bored as I was very intrigued about the whole process of anime making.
The only few things that I can complain about are following:
- It's very dialogue heavy and they tend to use industry jargons so it's hard to understand what's going on sometimes as the subtitles will also blaze by.
- I felt there were too many characters (which makes sense since anime making DOES involve a lot of people) but for that reason I can barely recall the names of 5 or so characters? Mind you, I am good with names in general but boy was this anime a challenge.

Regardless of those 'problems', here's what I loved about this anime:
- I was a bit skeptical about me personally liking the art style but I actually thought it was very good and well done. Animation and what not, the show clearly felt high quality made.
- I never got bored watching. It was always fun and I couldn't help but start a new episode.
- They made 2 OVAs and they're both the 1st episodes of the anime they made in this anime. I found that cute lol.

Overall I really enjoyed watching it, and will miss watching the team working together. 8.25/10, do recommend.
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Aeslay » July 2nd, 2017, 6:43 pm

Shirobako is definitely a lot more enjoyable if you care about the industry. While Bakuman focuses more on the journey of two new mangaka, their lives, Shirobako focuses less on characters and more on the setting, their jobs. I loved Shirobako for that, it's one of my favorites.
I personally wouldn't have recommended that to you, as I didn't take you for someone who cared about the behind the scenes, but I'm glad to see you still liked it. :P

I think I have said this before, but if you get some time, try out Durarara sometimes. It's from Baccano's author, and it is pretty similar to it, even in how good it is.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » July 3rd, 2017, 2:15 pm

Oh my friend who recommended Baccano! also mentioned Durarara, I'll see about it. Issac and Miria (best anime couple) briefly come in that world so that'd be a delight to see!

Also I wanna see your MAL, post it peeps!
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga