One Piece Manga Discussions

Re: One Piece Manga Discussions

Postby A-Man » May 3rd, 2016, 7:13 am

Woho, that was a fantastic chapter. Nobody expected it to release so soon either, so I didn't have a chance to have any sneak-peaks or take a glance at spoilers before the chapter itself came out! I really enjoyed it.

So germa77 is the name of the assassins group lead by Sanji's blood family. And phew, he still doesn't plan of getting married after seeing the photo. I hope that doesn't change when he sees the wife in person. So apparently, Lola IS related to Big Mom, though I can't say she's a daughter yet because she mentioned not wanting her father to be "Iced". I thought maybe her father might be a hostage of some sort, but maybe I understood it all wrong (?)

The moments with Luffy and the others facing starvation was actually funny. "Desperate situations call for desperate measures" = "Let's eat chopper" XD. I guess these were quite missed.

Luffy's now poisoned and unconscious because of the "delicious skin" of the fish he had to begin eating. Chopper is surely enjoying the cotton candy snow. And now some other curly-eye-brow'd appears on a giant denden mushi as a ship. Damn, the cliffhanger couldn't have been worse. Especially that OP is on a break next week..
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » May 19th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Sanji's sister doe!
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby A-Man » May 19th, 2016, 3:33 pm

doe?
It was a great chapter. Sanji's siblings don't seem so evil. Perhaps it's their father (and bigger brothers maybe) to blame for whatever happened to Sanji.

It intrigues me to know the vinsmoke family depend on technology. That, in addition to Germa 66 owning a robot in the legend, is further confirmation they DO own one. Looking forward to a large-scale mecha battle between that and the Iron Pirate of the strawhats'. Glad to see Jinbei finally coming back also. And most importantly, no break next week!
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » May 21st, 2016, 8:02 pm

I'm just glad we got an explanation for Sanji's bounty and why Big Mom wants Sanji married to her daughter. Vinsmokes are royal assassins. Really interested in seeing the rest of Vinsmoke siblings. So glad they all seems to have curly eyebrows. XD
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » June 16th, 2016, 11:32 am

New chapter is out! :like:
http://www.mangamint.com/one-piece-829

Damn I don't really like Big Mom. Antagonists in One Piece are generally loveable but she's just nasty! Jinbe I thought you were gonna give it to Luffy :C :C :serious:
So Big Mom has the ability to just "take out" the life from people, that's very interesting. I guess she can then put it in any inanimate object to make it come to life. That's her devil fruit.
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby A-Man » June 16th, 2016, 2:00 pm

So Big Mom has the ability to just "take out" the life from people, that's very interesting. I guess she can then put it in any inanimate object to make it come to life. That's her devil fruit.

I don't think we understand Bigmom's ability yet. Surely, it's more than just turning souls into food. It's very frightening to think Luffy might go against her, since the damage he'd take from such moves will be permanent. But maybe there's more to the ability than just this. Jinbe seems to be scheming on his own, and perhaps it ends with Luffy acquiring the poneglyph scans.

It's probable Jinbe was the one who left that message too, after recruiting Pekoms for his plan.
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » June 17th, 2016, 8:35 pm

Big Mom's hat can talk!
Big Mom's devil fruit is dangerous, but still beatable. For one, it seems like it requires the opponent to fear Big Mom to activate. Luffy getting scared? HA! And there's Brook too. Try eating his life.

Rhino.Freak wrote:Damn I don't really like Big Mom. Antagonists in One Piece are generally loveable but she's just nasty!

I really didn't like most of the antagonists, but Big Mom really is leagues above them in nastiness.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » June 18th, 2016, 7:39 pm

You didn't like the antagonists? :O that's surprising. Crocodile, Doffy, Enel, Lucci and even Arlong are so cool.

Some theories popping that she is a victim of one of Ceaser's candys. She's addicted now and goes to rampages.
It seems possible that she might not be evil after all!
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby A-Man » June 19th, 2016, 12:09 am

Crocodile's character topped them all for me. Moria's was the worst, followed by Doflamingo.

And there's Brook too. Try eating his life.

That would be epic XD. I hope there comes an encounter.
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » June 19th, 2016, 8:01 am

I did like Caeser and Lucci, but Crocodile, Moria, Enel, Doflamingo, Hody Jones, Akainu, Blackbeard and Arlong are all just evil people doing evil things. I don't think many people found them likeable.
As a character, Akainu isn't bad. Everything he does seems to be for the good of the world. But good =\= likeable. I still hate him.
Crocodile is my favorite of the bunch, but during the arc he was an antagonist, nobody liked him. He only got better when he wasn't an antagonist anymore.
Same goes for Arlong. During his arc, he just seemed like an evil guy. He was one of the few characters people wanted DEAD.
Doflamingo was the opposite. He seemed like a cool guy before his arc, but when we got his arc he just turned out be a disappointment.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby A-Man » July 21st, 2016, 6:08 pm

Today's chapter was fantastic, with all internet predictions crumbling like dry bread. Seeing Yonji's bent face a second time after going through the chapter was very satisfying. It doesn't seem to me like Jajji is as strong as I thought, but that leg piece was interesting. So Sanji can use armament haki confirmed now, and that other move looked like a Diable Jamble upgrade - too bad the hit didn't land. Now, with the slave explosive rings on Sanji's hands, it's going to be a while before Sanji acts again. Or maybe, he's gotten good enough to be able to pull off that stunt Reileigh used before to remove a similar neck ring before it exploded.
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » July 26th, 2016, 7:05 am

I agree the chapter was pretty epic. It kinda felt as if Sanji is strong enough to beat Judge, don't you guys think?
He will eventually.

And this also sets up that Big Mom is to be faced either ways.
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby A-Man » July 26th, 2016, 7:16 am

Yes, not only. The fact that the brothers are quadruplets might mean they're close to each other in strength. Sanji didn't seem to have any trouble deforming Yonji's face, so perhaps he'll take care of the other two too :P He'll have taught all of his family a lesson. Eagerly waiting for Thursday.
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » February 10th, 2017, 2:13 pm

So have you guys been keeping up with the manga? I really started to lose interest in the Zou mini-arc, but I'm loving the current arc. The characters are back to doing what they do best, instead of just standing around listening to some stories. I'm really loving what Oda's been doing with Luffy and Sanji duo this arc. Also a bit worried what Big Mom will do if she learns the Poneglyph's content was copied. And Brook's being awesome, like always. Confronted Big Mom and lived to tell the tale, and copied the Poneglyph. Wanted to see Big Mom use her Devil Fruit power on him and try to steal is life, since he's already dead, so a bit disappointed in that regard. Still hoping this comes up later, when she learns he's escaped.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby A-Man » February 11th, 2017, 2:16 am

So have you guys been keeping up with the manga?

Yup, thank you for breaking the silence.

Big mom's head is in the clouds while every part of her plan is going wrong right under her nose. Until now, we haven't seen her being really angry, but it seems we'll get to see the maddest Big Mom that has ever lived soon, once she figures it all out.

Wanted to see Big Mom use her Devil Fruit power on him and try to steal is life, since he's already dead, so a bit disappointed in that regard.

Yes. There's been a lot of fighting scenes being cut out lately, and I hate it.

I liked Zou arc till the end personally. Too many things happened, and the pacing was great. The whole cake island is really good so far, even though I hated the drama with Sanji making the "difficult decision" at first, since I couldn't see how Sanji expects Luffy to just leave. He should have thought that since he believes Luffy is truly to become the pirate king, then he'll probably have to face Big Mom or even stronger enemies sooner or later. But it went fast, and now it's alight after the brick hit him from Pudding's plot twist.

I think a very good direction I'd like this to take from here, knowing that Luffy won't get away without a fight with Big Mom (to claim fishman island among other things), is for Luffy to call his fleet and to defeat Big Mom in a major battle. Then Luffy gets to become a Yonko XD
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » February 11th, 2017, 4:03 pm

I think it's still a bit early to have Luffy fight Big Mom. He's strong, but I don't see him winning. He had to use Gear 4th and needed Nami's help just dealing with a Commander of her crew, and he was in perfect condition back then. Big Mom's Devil Fruit power is not as effective against him, and her Lightning would also be ineffective, but even in hand-to-hand combat, I see Big Mom being stronger, especially considering he's already taken a good amount of damage and he had trouble even besting Doffy. That, and the humongous size of Big Mom's crew with many Devil Fruit users against only half of Luffy's crew, with some of his stronger members not present, puts him in a pretty disadvantageous situation.

But I also can't see him running away, especially with Fishman Island on stake. It also seems like an impossible task to escape from Whole Cake Island. There's also the whole deal with Germa, Brûlée learning about Poneglyph being copied and Pedro's shortened life. I'm thinking it will somehow come to the Germa helping Luffy escape, and Jimbe somehow convincing Luffy to not fight yet. No idea what would happen with Pedro or Brûlée though.

A-Man wrote:I hated the drama with Sanji making the "difficult decision" at first, since I couldn't see how Sanji expects Luffy to just leave. He should have thought that since he believes Luffy is truly to become the pirate king, then he'll probably have to face Big Mom or even stronger enemies sooner or later.

It also made me angry, but I actually really liked that. With his hands at the risk of being blown away if he tries anything, Baratie at risk, even the Straw Hats being against a Yonkou, who has a lot of smaller Pirate Crews under her command, I can see why Sanji would be confused on what to do. I don't think he actually expected Luffy to leave, but he just hoped for the best and tried all he could. It's a situation similar to Kuma and Zoro's, where Zoro was willing to sacrifice himself and his dream for Luffy and the Straw Hat crew. The differences here are that a lot more is at stake for Sanji personally, and that Luffy isn't out cold and is capable of intervening, which is why it doesn't go the same way as it did back then.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » March 2nd, 2017, 4:20 pm

I can't even guess what Jimbe is thinking. I get that with Bege's help, they have a much better chance of saving everyone and getting out alive, but there's no way this alliance will go well.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » April 17th, 2017, 12:50 am

So a few more chapters out now.
The alliance thing almost failed before it begun. They seem to be working together for now, but I still don't trust Bege. His entire thing going on is a betrayal, there's nothing that guarantees he won't do the same with Luffy. Which makes it more exciting. At least his plan makes some sense. I still think it's a bit ridiculous by One Piece standards to use a artillery weapon to take out someone. A Yonkou, no less. But it has a chance of succeeding, which is more than what Straw Hats can do on their own at this point.

I must say I'm slightly disappointed about what happened with Pudding. It was a bit forced and generic outcome. Everyone was predicting that Pudding might hesitate or have a change of heart, some even speculating that she might be planning to triple cross Big Mom. But she hesitated for a pretty boring reason. Has literally everyone hated her third eye so much? Isn't the Totto Land supposed to be filled with weirdos of all kinds and races, except Giants? Is a third eye really that monstrous among all those others? I have faith in Oda, I believe he knows what he's doing more than anyone, so I'm still hopeful, just slightly disappointed and worried about the small chance of it being just this and nothing more.

I liked Katakuri. I think his design is pretty edgy and nice. His power seemed interesting too. But he also faces the same problem any character with future sight does. That it's kind of complicated and doesn't make enough sense. He saw that Sanji will dodge the priest's bullet, but then didn't know that his bullet would also be dodged. If he could see the future clearly, he would know Sanji will dodge both shots. Does that mean his power isn't active at all times? If so, does it deactivate when he isn't focusing on it? Or does it not predict the ways future could be affected by other people's Haki, so he failed to see Sanji's Haki saving him? Even if it is explained in detail later, whatever happens with it, it will feel like a bit of an asspull to me. Sanji dodging his attack means his future sight can be wrong, which kind of defeats half the point of seeing future for me.

Despite my complains about the mechanical side of future sight, I still like this character. I like how he has such a high bounty and is a commander of a Yonkou. His power alone can screw up the plan and turn the situation around completely. I think it will be fun to watch, and I'm looking forward to see who fights a character who seems to be pretty strong overall.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby A-Man » April 19th, 2017, 5:22 am

I found Katakuri's design to be very nice too. I think the logic of future sight in fiction is usually that you see what was going to happen had you not known of it. Once you know, then the future changes depending on how you react. But if A and B both have future sight abilities though, then if A looks into the future first, then B looks second, will B see the updated future with A knowing? Or will he see the same future that A has seen? Of course it's very paradoxical if you think deep into it (what about if A looks into the future twice..etc), but it's best to just think simple about it.

I like it because it's going to get very strategic from now on >=D. I look forward till next chapter (hoping there won't be any stalling like with the Dressrosa arc).

Technically, until now Pudding hasn't done anything wrong except for showing bad intentions, but I just don't think I'll like pudding again.
A-Man
Infamous Pirate

Postby Aeslay » April 19th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Pudding's flashback showed her stabbing kids. I get that she was being bullied and did that under pressure, but actually just stabbing and chasing kids around with a knife, yelling how she'll kill them is still pretty messed up. That's almost the same as saying Doffy did nothing wrong, because the position he found himself in was largely not created by him. D:
It's not as extreme a situation as his, but still not completely innocent. She also shot Reiju, so there's that too.

But yeah, I also don't think I'll like her. I'm still going to give her another chance. I think her power of manipulating memories could be great. The moment all Straw Hats forgot about Robin in Dressrosa arc was one of my favorites. Her power can potentially create more situations like that. In this regard, I think most of everyone in this arc is great. The powers are pretty fun. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of them clash.
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Postby Rhino.Freak » April 23rd, 2017, 4:30 am

One word: YOHOHOHO!

Goddamn do I love Brook.
Rhino.Freak
Site Admin

Postby Aeslay » May 5th, 2017, 8:41 am

So this was a pretty good chapter. Answered a lot of questions.

Bege makes a comment on Katakuri's power. I'm not sure if he's being serious or was he just being poetic when he said anyone can change the future. I'll assume it was meant to be taken literally. That makes everything clear. His power was a lot simpler than I thought it was, and I greatly overestimated it. Basically, he can see the future, but it changes in some form depending on what he does with this new information, and presumably, he can't see how his actions can influence the future. So he can see Pudding won't shoot Sanji before it happens, but if he tries to do something about, the future changes and he can't see how it changes. So the simplest it can be, exactly like how A described it.

It also pretty much establishes Vinsmoke family's place in the hierarchy. They did feel kind of underwhelming from the beginning and it turns out they are just that underwhelming. Judge is a great scientist, capable of making clones, but outside of that, he's a pretty stupid person and just lacks common sense, but he's also too arrogant to realize this. Basically how most other "evil king" type tend to be. Pudding is now even being mistreated by her family, so this pretty much sets in stone her future as a nice girl. I've seen people bring up Sanji saying "I'll forgive a women's lies" back in Water 7 arc, in regards to Robin and her disappearance, and he's doing just that with Pudding now, so that's a nice detail.

The highlights of this chapter for me were Brook and Morgans, the news paper birdy. Brook is always the best and he's been especially great in this arc, and Morgans' reaction to everything is just perfect. I love them so much. XD
Aeslay
Infamous Pirate

Previous

Return to Anime and Manga